South African spoken word poets can win a place at the 2022 Poetry Africa festival that will take place in October
this year by entering Poetry Africa’s monthly poetry competition.
• Poets may only submit one poem per month for the competition.
• Poems may be in any South African language.
• Poems must be submitted as video-poems.
• A poem must not exceed 3 minutes in length.
• Submission must contain the FULL NAME of the poet as well as AGE, GENDER, and LANGUAGE.
• Poetry Africa receives the right to publish or not to publish any of the poems submitted.
A theme will be announced for each month.
• Poetry Africa’s jury will select the month’s winning poem.
• The judges will select one winner from the finalists who will be invited to perform at the Poetry Africa festival inOctober. The Poetry Africa festival will cover travel, accommodation and per diem costs as well as pay the poet aperformance fee.
• Judging criteria for each month will be:
- Quality of the poem
- Relevance to the monthly theme
- Style and impact of the performance
Video entries can be WhatsApped to
+27 76 010 9437
• The Jury’s decision is final. No correspondence will be entered into.